Thursday 17 September 2009

SUICIDE...OR NOT by David Barber


In this flash, David asks...



Suicide………Or Not?

I look down at the gun in my hand, having no idea how and why it got there and why there was a faint smell of cordite still emanating from the end of the barrel.

I’m sat in my living room, the television showing that there was an imminent end to the current life of bad weather and recession.

A sudden searing pain in my stomach snatches my attention away from the television and I put my hand to my midriff where blood is now flowing freely.

Behind me, beyond the kitchen I hear the back door slam shut and it’s only then that I notice the photograph on the coffee table in front of me.

Through blurring vision I can just make out my secretary and I in a position most commonly favoured by mans best friend - “Oh fuck…………”

Outside my wife walks away from our house, tears in her eyes, while the life slowly drains from mine.

Bio:
Manchester born and bred, but now living in Crieff, Scotland with wife, Lisa, and our two daughters, Imogen & Melissa. Wrote some years ago but have recently been inspired to write again by an old and good friend (Col Bury) and the beauty that surrounds me up here. Always reading - when not entertaining my girls and working - crime and horror…and now writing.

11 comments:

  1. Paul, Lee, you seem to be my regulars :-).
    For a relative newcomer to the site it is sincerely a great pleasure to get positive feedback. Thanks guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,
    I don't think it was suicide, pal!
    Unless you count his knob as the murder weapon!
    Loved it, bud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Col, his knob was firing blanks!
    Cheers n get well soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, I love them short and sweet or, in this case, not-so-sweet.

    My favorite line is Through blurring vision I can just make out my secretary and I in a position most commonly favoured by mans best friend - “Oh fuck…………”

    Fuck, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This begins exactly where it should! Love that foggy, 'oh fuck' element to this.
    Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It coulda been an unconscious suicide-by-proxy, no?

    "Hey, I'm too lazy to kill myself, so I'll leave this evidence of adultery and this loaded gun out where the wife will see it..."

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a dogs life David! Short and sharp stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, it's great to get everybody thinking and making up their own minds on the question!
    Thanks to all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great opening line and quick little tale!

    ReplyDelete