Tuesday 30 March 2010

FRIDAY, FRIDAY By Sue Harding


Friday, Friday
I’m cold.

Despite the pain I’m in it’s strange, but I can feel the cold. Like when you sweat and feel that coolness on your skin as it evaporates.

I can feel that, now. But it’s not sweat. It’s blood.

There are so many puncture wounds and rips in my flesh that at times I can’t really tell exactly where the pain is coming from.

My muscles ache. I want to lie down and rest but they won’t let me. Just when I think they’ve finished they start all over again. But I know this is just the beginning.

What a difference a week makes. A few days ago I was in a very different place. Not geographically. In fact, I was just a few hundred yards from this building. But it was a world away from the present reality.

That was when people wanted to be with me. I had some very good friends, but this – this has driven most of them away. The fear of this happening to them has made them run.

It’s dark. There are still a few hours to go before daylight. More time to rip more flesh.

It could have been so different. But this is all part of the plan. I can’t change it. I can't back out now. I don’t want to, even with all this pain and terror. It is…..necessary.

It’s tempting knowing that I could clap my hands and have done with it. If it was just me, perhaps I would. But it isn’t just me. And so much depends on carrying this through, right to the bitter end.

I can hear them coming. What’s already gone is nothing to what’s coming up, I know that. But I have to look beyond it.

The pain will pass.

Eventually.

They only see the here and now. But I know the bigger picture. They think this will finish it. How wrong can they be.

It’s Friday.

But Sunday’s coming.


BIO:

Sue Harding works in a library in Warks. Having spent years 'shelving' books, she's starting to 'write' them instead! Sue blogs here:
http://irefusetogoquietly.blogspot.com/

13 comments:

  1. Wooo...!
    How cryptic is this little number? Or am I just being thick?

    Certainly gets you thinking...
    You little tinker, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The clue's in the picture, Col! (Matt's been diggin' in the image bank!) Also, it's down to timing.....date-wise.....check your calendar...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bloomineckerslike!!!
    And here's me thinking it was from the viewpoint of a giant voodoo doll!

    The date, of course, thanks for the clue - you're obviously trying to fool the readers cos it's April 1st soon.....LOL.

    Gotcha really - nice one, thanks for the clue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the same feeling when I first read this, and thought UH? Then it struck me like a sledgehammer. Very nice work Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Extremely moving Sue. Well put together with not a word wasted. You don't have to be a "member" to appreciate the worth of a story.

    Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On a third read, the appreciation of this beaut of a story increases tenfold.
    Well done, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. JESUS! :-) Really liked it ,Sue. A very clever little write that obviously caused a bit of head scratching. Very well done.

    (I hope I'm barking at the right moon with my first word...) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good one, Sue. Er - guys, how could you MISS what it was about, from the first word!? Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wasn't too sure how it would be received, so
    thanks for all the positive feed-back, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicely done, Sue. It dawned on me when it got to the clapping hands part. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic. The picture gave it away for me. I loved the ending. Sparse language, but full of hope.

    ReplyDelete